SUMMER JOINT DOWNSTATE/SWICMA MEETING
AUGUST 8 – 9, 2019
- 3:30 – Depart Hilton Home2 Suites (Bus transportation provided by Jackson County Mass Transit)
- 4:00 – 5:30 – Alto Vineyards Wine Tour, Alto Pass 8515 Highway 127, Alto Pass, IL
- 6:00 – 6:30 – Cocktails at Giant City Lodge, 460 Giant City Lodge Road, Makanda, IL
- 6:30 – 7:30 – Dinner at Giant City Lodge
You are welcome to join the group for dinner even if you do not participate in the tour! Be sure to sign up on the registration form
- 8:00 – Arrive at Hilton Home2 Suites
August 9 – Meet at Carbondale Main Street Office, 121 S. Illinois Ave.
- 8:30 – “The Importance of and obstacles to a Complete Count for Illinois and downstate” – What are the stakes here and what impact will it have on our state and on municipalities? What are the constitutional and legal issues and plans for overcoming the obstacles to a complete count in 2020? – Dr. John Jackson, Paul Simon Public Policy Institute
- 9:30-9:45 – Break
- 9:45 – “Public Libraries as Community Development partners” – The Carbondale Public Library has expanded its programming and services to address social and community health issues. Learn how you can implement some of their strategies to improve your community. – Diana Brawley-Sussman, Director of Carbondale Public Library
- 10:45-11:00 – Break
- 11:00 – “Performance Contracting: What is it, how does it work, and why should I consider it?” An introduction to Performance Contracting, the Illinois legislation behind it and how to utilize it in order to make critical infrastructure improvements during tight fiscal times. Listen to local experts and industry leaders from Johnson Controls as they explain the process, learn the do’s and don’ts and share relevant case studies of how to take advantage of this budget-friendly mode of contracting. – Jason Myers, Johnson Controls
- 12:00 – Lunch and Business Meeting
Registration Fee: $45 – Includes buffet breakfast & lunch on Friday. Please have registrations in by Friday, August 2, 2019.
Hotel Accommodations: Home2Suites, 200 West Elm Street, Carbondale, Illinois, 62901. For hotel accommodations, please go to Hilton.com or call the Carbondale number at 618-529-2555 click 1 for reservations or 0 for front desk. Rooms are $94/night plus tax. The room block is under Downstate and the group code is DNS and will be released on July 25.
Dinner Reservations: Please indicate if you are planning to arrive in time for dinner at the Reclaimed Food & Spirits. Dinner is “on your own.”
Registration Deadline: Friday, August 2, 2019
Cancellations: To receive a full refund, cancellations must be received by Friday, August 2, 2019. Registrants, who do not attend the meeting but have not canceled, are responsible for the entire fee. Registrants who have not paid will be billed.
Downstate Summer Meeting
August 8, 2019 - August 9, 2019
3:30 pm - 1:00 pm
Venue: Carbondale Main Street Office