The City of Champaign is a community that invests in planning and enjoys the outcomes of having a city that is very livable with great neighborhoods, a lively downtown and an equitable transportation network. Consider joining the team that helps make these outcomes possible. The City seeks qualified candidates for a career opportunity as an Associate Planner in the Planning and Development Department. The anticipated start date is early summer, 2023.
Responsibilities of Position
The Associate Planner position is a great opportunity to put into practice planning theory and principles. This position assists senior staff with long-range planning,
zoning/development review, and economic development. The Associate Planner collects and analyzes land-use and socio-economic data for long-range planning
initiatives; prepares maps and graphics; and creates and gives presentations to boards/commissions and community members. They also write reports, review and
provide recommendations on zoning and subdivision requests, and interprets/explains ordinances and programs to developers and the public.
• A bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning or a related field.
• Or an equivalent combination of work experience and education that demonstrates the required knowledge, skills, and abilities will be considered.
• Demonstrated understanding of planning principles and practices.
• Research and data analysis experience.
• Report writing experience.
• Collaborative team member.
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
• Experience (through employment or internships) that demonstrates a working knowledge of planning principles.
• Knowledge of planning principles within a municipal government structure.
• Experience giving presentations.
• Knowledge of software applications used to create planning-related maps/graphics/video such as select Adobe Creative Cloud products.
• Knowledge of data analysis using GIS.
Drug screening will be required. The annual starting salary range is $64,690 – $73,642, DOQ, plus an excellent fringe benefits package. Applications, including
cover letter and resume, must be submitted online no later than Sunday, April 16, 2023.
The City’s mission is to provide responsive, caring, cost-effective service in partnership with our community. The following values guide our work: Personal Integrity, Responsibility, Respect, Teamwork, Results. The City of Champaign is committed to promoting a work environment and a community that values and supports diversity and inclusion.
To apply, visit the City’s Jobs Page at champaignil.gov/jobs.
The City of Champaign is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The following locations offer free Internet access and assistance: Champaign Public Library, Champaign Public Library Douglass Branch, and the Illinois WorkNet Center