Application Deadline Extended
Are you a traffic or transportation engineering professional looking for an opportunity to advance your career? Do you enjoy problem solving in a team-oriented environment? If you said yes to both, consider the Civil Engineer I position with the City of Champaign.
The City of Champaign seeks qualified candidates for a career opportunity as a Civil Engineer I to work in the Transportation Section of the Public Works Department, Engineering Division.
Responsibilities of Position
This position performs skilled technical work in the office and field in connection with City infrastructure programs and projects, with a focus on traffic and transportation engineering. Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to: administering the City’s Traffic Service Request Program, receiving and responding to traffic engineering requests for changes in signage/markings, and evaluating safety concerns. This position oversees consultant completion of traffic engineering studies (crash and traffic analysis, corridor studies, signal timing development, etc.); assists with the implementation of the City’s Bicycle Vision; and plans, budgets, and implements small to medium sized transportation capital improvement projects.
The annual starting salary range is $78,637- $89,520, DOQ, plus an excellent fringe benefits package. Applications must be submitted online to champaignil.gov/jobs no later than Sunday, October 16, 2022.
The City’s mission is to provide responsive, caring, cost-effective service in partnership with our community. The following values guide our work: Personal Integrity, Responsibility, Respect, Teamwork, Results. The City of Champaign is committed to promoting a work environment and a community that values and supports diversity and inclusion. The City of Champaign is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or a related engineering discipline from an ABET accredited college or university.
- At least two years of experience as a Civil Engineer.
- Active Engineer Intern or Professional Engineer registration in the State of Illinois or in another state with the ability to obtain Illinois registration within six months of hire.
- Availability to work outside of normal work hours as needed.
- Valid state-issued driver’s license and good driving record.
- Previous municipal, county, state or federal engineering experience.
- Customer service experience with engineering project management and delivery.
- Experience with traffic engineering and/or applying Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices or similar standards.
- Working knowledge of Synchro Signal Timing and Analysis Software.
- Previous public infrastructure improvement project management experience.
- Basic knowledge of CAD and GIS software.
Drug screening will be required.
To apply, visit the City’s Jobs Page at champaignil.gov/jobs.