Collinsville, IL (population 23,861) The City of Collinsville is seeking a resourceful and knowledgeable finance professional to join its talented and dedicated executive team as the Finance Director. The City of Collinsville is a full-service municipality located 12 miles east of St. Louis. Its residents enjoy the lifestyle of a safe, affordable, and family-oriented community while being just minutes away from the urban amenities of a world class metropolitan area. Collinsville is known for its midwestern charm, its outstanding schools, its beautiful park system, and its thriving local economy.
The City of Collinsville is a home-rule municipality that operates under the Council-Manager form of government. As such, the Finance Director reports directly to the City Manager. The current City Manager has held that position for several years and enjoys strong support from the City Council. The City has a $57.6 million annual budget for the FY2022 fiscal year. The City’s enviable financial condition is evidenced by its Aa3 rating by Moody’s Investor Services. The City of Collinsville is a politically stable community with a Mayor and City Council that appreciates and values the outstanding work of the municipal work force. The City Manager, with the support of the Council, also places a high value on his management team members developing and maintaining a healthy work/life balance.
The Collinsville Finance Department consists of 8 full-time staff including two experienced Accounting Managers. The Finance Department is responsible for all traditional financial accounting services including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, pension fund management, and utility billing. In addition, the Finance Department generates all financial reports, performs cash management duties, oversees compliance of federal and state regulations, prepares the City’s annual budget, manages investments, monitors grant compliance, etc.
The Finance Director is an integral part of the executive management team. He/she will participate in key decisions regarding budget development, administration, economic development, capital planning, and all policies affecting the overall fiscal health of the City.
The following are key attributes that the City is seeking in its new Finance Director:
- Strong accounting and financial management skills along with the ability to provide strategic fiscal guidance to the City Manager and to the elected officials
- Experience in public sector financial management is preferred
- A passion for public service
- Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, complex financial concepts and strategies in a manner that can be readily understood by individuals with little background in municipal finance
- A good leader who can build strong teams, not only within the Finance Department, but with external stakeholders throughout the municipal organization and the community
- A mentor and coach to the Finance Department employees who will encourage and nurture staff development while ensuring a high standard of performance by all team members
- An enthusiastic and optimistic leader who is always searching for new methods and practices to benefit the municipal organization and, ultimately, the citizens of Collinsville
- Excellent interpersonal skills characterized by being open-minded, diplomatic, friendly, approachable, organized, and a good listener
The most attractive candidates for this position will possess the following minimum qualifications:
- At least seven (7) years of progressively responsible financial management experience. Some direct experience in municipal and/or county financial management is preferred but not required.
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, public administration, business administration, or some other related field. A Master’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration, public administration or some other related field would be desirable as would be a CPA designation.
The starting salary range for this position is $105,000 to $130,000 DOQ/E. The City also offers an outstanding fringe benefits package including health insurance for the employee that is 100% paid by the City. Residency within the corporate limits of Collinsville is not required.
Interested candidates should apply on-line with a resume, cover letter and contact information for five (5) professional references to Mark R. Peterson, Vice President GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, Suite 225, Northbrook, Illinois 60060. Electronic submissions are required and can be made at www.GovHRjobs.com. The position will remain open until filled. Please direct all inquiries about the position, the community, and/or the recruitment process to Mr. Peterson at (309) 825-5091. The City of Collinsville is an Equal Opportunity Employer.