The City of Crest Hill (population 20,459), a progressive, growing community in the north central region of Will County, seeks a dynamic professional to become the City’s full-time City Planner.
This position administers various land-use related procedures, processes, and regulations in support of the City’s Comprehensive Plan and other important community and economic development related policies. This position collaborates with the Community and Economic Development Director, the City Engineer, Building Commissioner, various planning and economic development consultants, the Plan Commission, and the City Council to facilitate high-quality private investment and development, promote business development and retention, and address zoning code enforcement issues in the community in a professional and efficient manner. The City Planner reports to the Director of Community and Economic Development.
- Coordinates the review of private development applications and proposals.
- Drafts request for qualifications/proposals, negotiates professional service contracts, and directs the work of consultants.
- Conducts research regarding potential Zoning Ordinance revisions, new land use regulations, pending legislation, and trends in local government planning, zoning, and economic development.
- Assists with the preparation and presentation of updates to the Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision Regulations, and other community and economic development related regulations and policy documents.
- Performs site visits, collects field data, assesses site conditions, and identifies Zoning Ordinance violations.
- Coordinates code enforcement actions with the Building Commissioner.
- Participates in economic development meetings and maintains a comprehensive inventory of available buildings and sites suitable for private sector use and development.
- Writes reports, memorandums, and other professional correspondence.
- Pursues grant opportunities and coordinates local economic development and long-term planning initiatives with other governmental entities.
- Serves as the primary staff liaison to the Plan Commission. Presents information at monthly evening Plan Commission meetings.
- Provides high-quality, personalized service to community residents and businesses.
- Two to five years relevant community development, urban planning, or economic development experience, preferably at a municipality or similar organization.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Urban Planning, or closely related field preferred.
- Master’s degree in Urban or Regional Planning, American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP), or Certified Urban Designer (CUD) designations a plus.
- Valid driver’s license.
Salary and Benefits
The compensation range for this position is $65,000-$85,000 per year. The actual salary will be dependent on qualifications and experience. The position is a full-time, exempt position. Regular office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Occasional evening meetings will be required.
The City offers a comprehensive benefits package including participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, medical, dental, vision, and life insurance coverage, flexible spending accounts, paid vacation, personal/sick leave and holidays. The City does not have a residency requirement.
The City is strategically located about 40 miles southwest of Chicago and is bordered by Romeoville to the north and Joliet to the South, with close access to I-55, I-80 and I-355. Crest Hill’s municipal government offices are housed in a new, state of the art, 40,000 square foot municipal building. The community has strong and diverse residential neighborhoods including the 1,100 home Carillon Lakes Senior living community, an industrial park anchored by Amazon, bustling commercial districts supported by two existing TIF Districts, and beautiful open space and well-developed park amenities. The City is actively planning a third TIF district and instituting multimillion dollar upgrades to its wastewater treatment plant to support continued desirable economic development and private investment in the community. Crest Hill is a full-service community with a staff of 68 full-time employees, a $50 million total budget, an AA bond rating, low bonded debt, and healthy reserves.
Persons interested in this position should submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to HR@cityofcresthill.com. The position will remain open until filled; first review of resumes will take place March 1, 2024. In order for full consideration please submit your documents by March 1, 2024. For the full job description, please visit www.cityofcresthill.com.