Fire Chief, City of Elmhurst, IL (47,260). Elmhurst is a suburb of Chicago in DuPage County (with a small portion in Cook County) and is one of the best places to live in Illinois. It was incorporated in 1882 as a Village and changed to a city form of government in 1910. Living in Elmhurst offers residents a dense suburban feel and most residents own their homes. In Elmhurst there are a lot of restaurants, coffee shops, and parks. Many young professionals live in the city and the public schools in Elmhurst are highly rated. In 2014, Family Circle magazine ranked Elmhurst as one of the “Ten Best U.S. Towns for Families.” The City encompasses 10.3 mi2 and is home to Elmhurst Edwards Hospital, the corporate headquarters of McMaster-Carr, Elmhurst University, a private 4-year liberal arts institution set upon a 48-acre campus as a few highlights to the city. Residents and visitors are served by the Pace suburban bus system and the Metra Union/Pacific commuter rail line (operating from Chicago’s Ogilvie Transportation Center (OTC) to Elburn, IL to the west as regional transportation options. Elmhurst is conveniently located 18 minutes from O’Hare International Airport and just over 30 minutes from Midway International Airport. The city is seeking a new Fire Chief after the retirement of its current Chief. The city operates under a Council-Manager form of government. The Fire Chief is recommended to the City Council for appointment and reports to the City Manager.
- The department is staffed with a Fire Chief, Deputy Fire Chief, administrative assistant, three (3) Battalion Chiefs, six (6) Lieutenants, thirty-three (33) firefighters and fifteen (15) contract paramedics provided by Metro Paramedic Services operating from two fire stations.
- The department provides full ALS/EMS services as well as specialized response team services covering hazardous materials, confined space, trench, collapse, dive, and other services.
- The Department is made up of several divisions including Emergency Medical Services, EMA, Fire Prevention, Public Education and Honor Guard and Training.
- The department is proud to have attained and maintained an ISO Class 1.
- The Mission of the Elmhurst Fire Department is: The Elmhurst Fire Department consists of competent and valued professionals dedicated to providing life safety, emergency services, and educational programs for the protection of life and property in our community. The mission is accomplished by holding devotion to duty above personal safety and comfort, and continually challenging our members to enhance the quality of services provided. This mission is accomplished through the Value Statements of
- FAMILY AND FRIENDS – We value our family and friends.
- TRUST – We value the trust of the community and each other.
- INTEGRITY – We shall act in an honest and ethical manner.
- RESPONSIBILITY – We will do what we say we are going to do
- The department is implementing new initiatives for 2022 including, a brand-new bike safety program for families, installation of the “Little Free Library” at each fire station, sensory day for children with special powers, “Cooks & Hooks” a cookbook filled with our firehouse favorite recipes, and our Noon Year’s Eve bash for families to name a few.
- Annually the department responds to over 5,800 fire, EMS, and service-related calls.
- The annual budget for FY2022 is $11,776,400.00.
The successful candidate will provide:
- Innovation: Bring fresh ideas to the organization and offer unique perspectives and experiences.
- Energy: Provide enthusiasm and focused energy to all projects and a passion for service to the community. Be one who is highly motivated and can develop and articulate a long-term plan for the fire department with the charisma to lead the team to an even higher level of excellence. Be a highly motivated, visionary, goal-oriented leader with a proven ability to gain cooperation and communicate clear direction.
- Versatility: Play an important role in coordinating, facilitating, and managing projects that require involvement across multiple service areas with a strong desire to work in a collegial, team-oriented environment.
- Leadership: Be dedicated to becoming an effective servant leader and building collaborative and positive relationships with other staff members and outside organizations in the region. Have an open, trustworthy, friendly personality and communication style and a calm demeanor; be one who can establish trust quickly with others along with a strong sense of humor. Have thorough knowledge of the principles of personnel management including recruiting, training, promoting, disciplining, and terminating employees within a fire service context and more.
Successful candidates will possess:
- 7 years or more of experience in senior level management and leadership at the Chief Officer level, or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degree in Fire Science, Fire, Business or Public Administration, or a related field from an accredited institution. A Master’s Degree is preferred.
- EMT-B Certification
- Illinois Driver’s License
- FEMA Incident Command Certification
- Illinois Fire Officer III
- Desired completion of the Executive Fire Officer program from the National Fire Academy.
- Desired completion of the Illinois Chief Fire Officer Designation, and/or the Chief Officer Designation from CPSE.
- Must meet the provisions of PA 100-1126 in the Illinois Municipal Code.
- There is no specific residency requirement, but reasonable travel distances are appropriate given the responsibility of the position.
The annual salary for this position is $ 160,000+/- depending upon qualifications. The City of Elmhurst, IL also offers an attractive and competitive benefits package. Candidates should apply by August 26, 2022, at 1700 hours with résumé, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to www.GovHRjobs.com. For questions contact T.E. Sashko, Vice President, GovHRUSA, 630 Dundee Road, #225, Northbrook, IL 60062. email: email@example.com. Tel: (847)380-3240 x123.
The City of Elmhurst, IL is an equal opportunity employer.