The City of Galesburg seeks interested candidates for the Transit Manager position, leading the Transit Division. This is an exempt, full-time position compensated between $70,360 and $90,065 per year, depending on qualifications.
General Description of the Positions
The Transit Manager position provides leadership for the full scope of transit operations, programs, and activities, and is responsible for all aspects of the Division, including but not limited to, the overall direction and operation of fixed route and paratransit services in accordance with policies and procedures, current federal, state and local guidelines to assure safe and efficient operation. This position prepares and manages a division budget, and is responsible for supervision of all division personnel. This position oversees all aspects of securing and maintaining federal and state funding for transit operations.
Essential Duties of the Positions
- Develops and implements goals, objectives, and work standards for the Division.
- Monitors and interprets changes in laws and regulations related to Transit operations; implements procedural modifications to ensure that activities reflect legal requirements.
- Develop and implement operating procedures for all Transit operations to insure the safe operation and compliance of local ordinances, as well as state and federal laws and regulations.
- Supervises all Transit Division staff, including communicating expectations, assigning duties and responsibilities, evaluating employee performance, and facilitating training opportunities, etc.
- Establishes and maintains a budget and confirms that the division operates within the budgetary guidelines.
- Researches federal and state sources for available funding assistance; oversees and/or prepares grant applications.
- Prepares and submits the City’s federal and state IDOT transit applications and serves at the Program Compliance Oversight Monitor (PCOM)
- Serves as the City liaison with IDOT and other agencies for all transit
- Recommends the purchasing of equipment and supplies as may be required.
- Conducts safety investigations and acts to eliminate safety hazards.
- Works with area agencies to meet the needs of the community.
- Administer the department’s drug and alcohol testing program under DOT, FTA, and FCMSA regulations, including coordination of random testing, and reporting requirements.
- Investigates and acts on complaints related to the operation of the transit division, ensures proper resolution has been made in a timely manner.
- Monitors condition of equipment and facilities; reviews equipment problems with appropriate staff and arranges for corrective maintenance.
- Ensures all reporting is completed accurately and timely.
- Performs public outreach by representing the City at various community, county, state and regional meetings and events.
- Maintains accurate files and records.
- Performs physician and patient outreach, passenger training and promotion of service to local nursing homes and medical facilities.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Public Administration, Public Transportation, Accounting, or in a closely related field, or equivalent work experience.
Work Experience Required
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in a passenger transportation position is desired.
- Three to five years’ experience in public transit management or a business related field along with previous supervisory experience is preferred.
Personal Qualifications and Ability
- Working knowledge of all applicable federal regulations, including, but not limited to: DOT motor carrier safety and CDL license requirements and applicable labor laws and regulations.
- Knowledge and understanding of the DOT/FTA drug and alcohol program.
- Have an understanding of ADA compliance issues and resolutions.
- Possess well-developed problem-solving skills and ability to develop conceptual alternatives. Possess the ability to seek out new methods and principles and be willing to incorporate them into existing operational practices.
- Possess the ability to act decisively under pressure, meet critical deadlines, establish priorities, and organize work schedules.
- Possess leadership ability and team building skills and interact with all levels of management and employees.
- Excellent written and oral communication, and presentation skills.
- Ability to maintain, in a confidential manner, all information received.
- Experience using Microsoft software applications and ability and willingness to learn others.
- To be knowledgeable and compliant of the City’s safety procedures and practices.
- To be knowledgeable and compliant of all State and Federal laws of the road.
- Must possess a valid State of Illinois Driver’s License.
- Ability to maintain a clean driving record.
How to Apply
To apply, all applicants must send a resume, cover letter, and three references to HR@ci.galesburg.il.us. A position profile can be found here:
To receive full consideration, applications should be submitted by June 8th, 2020
« Back to Listings