CITY OF HARVARD, PUBLIC WORKS SUPERINTENDENT
The City of Harvard is seeking qualified applicants for the full-time position of Public Works Superintendent. The Superintendent manages the activities of the City’s Public Works Department and directs projects for the betterment and growth of the Harvard Community.
Harvard is a city located in McHenry County, Illinois, approximately 7 miles (11 km) south of the Illinois/Wisconsin border. The population was 9,469 at the 2020 census. The city is 63 miles (101 km) from the Chicago Loop, and is the last stop on the Metra’s Union Pacific/Northwest Line. The incumbent Public Works Superintendent is retiring after a 26-year career with the City.
Reporting to the Mayor and City Administrator, the Public Works Superintendent is a highly responsible professional position that plans, coordinates, and manages the operations of the Public Works Department. The Superintendent manages a department staff that supports the operation and maintenance of the City’s infrastructure which includes the water and wastewater systems.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A minimum of three (3) years supervisory experience in a full-service municipal public works department.
- An associate degree in civil engineering, business management, or closely related field (preferred but not required).
- The ability to cultivate a team-focused mentality while encouraging individual growth and development.
- Strong MS Office computer skills required, experience with GIS and Pavers strongly desired.
- Exceptional public relation skills.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- A combination of relevant education and experience which demonstrates the skills, knowledge and abilities required to perform the job will be considered.
The anticipated salary range is $75,000 – $92,000 +/- DOQ. A comprehensive benefits package available. The City also offers paid vacation, personal leave, holidays and sick leave. The City does not have a residency requirement.
Qualified candidates should submit cover letter and resume by March 28, 2023, to: Lori Moller, City Clerk, 201 W. Diggins St., Harvard, IL 60033 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE.