Provide overall supervision and coordination of the Streets, Sewer and Water Distribution Sections, within the Operations Division of Public Works. Including coordination and supervision of snow and ice control operations, coordination of all maintenance, repair, and contractual work related to City streets, sidewalks, alleys, signs, sanitary and storm water collection systems, water distribution system including water service lines, metering and meter reading systems, and GIS system. Responsible for all budgeting and expenditures related to Streets, Sewer and Water Distribution, as well as Request For Council Action (RFCA) staff reports, memos, and recommendations. Provides administrative, and direct support to the Deputy Director in the management of the Operations Division, including personnel management and union labor relations.
Works under the direct general supervision of the Deputy Director of Public Works with minimal oversight.
Provides for the direct supervision of the Streets, Sewer and Water Distribution Section Foremen, and the general
IMRF Pension Eligible Position
Salary Range Anticipated: $86,893.51 – $108,616.89
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Administers and manages staff and contractors to provide for maintenance, repair and coordination of City-owned infrastructure related to streets, the water distribution system, and sanitary and storm systems.
- Inputs, manages and tracks operational budgets for the assigned infrastructure sections. Responsible for purchase order and requisition requests for materials and equipment necessary for repairs, restoration, extensions, and emergencies. Prepares Request for Council Actions (RFCA) staff reports.
- Works with contractors and residents to ensure compliance with City Code regarding street, sewer, water distribution and metering.
- Assists in the development of contract documents by providing specifications to Contract Specialist for infrastructure related contracts; answers and responds to technical questions related to the contract bid package.
- Responds and performs customer service functions related to infrastructure and utility concerns and requests
- Analyzes and updates data within the GIS System pertaining to the City’s assigned infrastructure. Prepares maps and provides various exhibits for (e.g., snow plow routes, street sweeper routes, flooding calls, water main break locations, etc.)
- Stays current with IEPA, AWWA, NASSCO, local, IDOT and federally-mandated regulations.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
An Associates or Bachelor’s degree in public or business administration, engineering, or closely related field is preferred. A combination of experience, certifications, public and private training may be considered.
Five (5) years of increased supervisory experience preferred. Experience in the management, budgeting, and principals of public sector water, sewer, and streets preferred. Private sector experience or any equivalent combination of public and private training and experience may be considered.
Certification or License:
A valid Illinois driver’s license is required or equivalent.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Proficiencies:
Experience with planning, designing and supervising construction and maintenance projects; practical experience in the financial management of a municipal department including budget preparation, forecasting, long term planning, preparation of documents and contracts; skill in exercising good judgment, maintaining confidentiality, and making responsible decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures; prioritizing, organizing, and performing work independently; operating a personal computer with the software and programs necessary to perform the work of the department (including Word, Excel, Access, ArcGIS and email); planning and maintaining complex office and record keeping sequences and systems; ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written formats on related matters.
For more information, or to apply, visit https://www.cityhpil.com/careers