JOB POSTING #: 55-23
POSTED: 09/07/2023, 12:00 p.m.
EXPIRATION: until filled
TITLE: Senior Economic Development Specialist
SALARY: $85,000- $105,000 (Targeted salary range, based on experience)
DEPARTMENT: Community Development
DIVISION: Economic Development
Under general supervision, promotes the development and redevelopment of the City by leveraging private sector investment, offering public sector inducements, and soliciting grants from federal, state, and philanthropic entities; analyzes economic development projects and manages the implementation of these projects.
This position performs advanced level economic development duties for the City involving high-level client interaction, collaborative partnerships, technical assignments, and financial analysis. Assists the Economic Development Director with activities related to business attraction, business retention, marketing, development research and other tasks to enhance the City’s economic and employment base.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves as project manager for development projects including negotiation for purchase of property, obtaining title commitments, contracting for environmental and other work, preparing RFPs, and overseeing the work of outside contractors.
- Assists in the planning and development of future projects and programs and in the preparation of the operating and project budgets.
- Performs financial and economic impact analysis for development projects to include revenue estimates, present value, future value, internal rate of return, cash flow analysis, and debt service calculations on proposed and current development projects.
- Assists in preparing, monitoring, and implementation of the department operating and capital budgets.
- Manages and coordinates the grant writing and monitoring functions of the department.
- Assists with real property acquisitions and relocation activities within the City.
- Interfaces with City Council, various Commissions, community organizations and neighborhood associations to explain and recommends development proposals consistent with the City’s goals.
- Confers with developers, attorneys, architects, engineers, and other professionals regarding development issues.
- Represents the organization at various functions such as making speeches at civic and business associations, meeting with influential persons within the community, developers, officials, citizens, and representatives of the press, to establish goodwill and resolve/respond to issues.
- Maintains and upgrades professional knowledge, skills, and development by attending seminars and training programs, and reading trade and professional journals and publications.
- Attends City Economic Development Committee meetings, and City Council meetings when required.
- Other duties assigned to effectuate the economic development mission of the City.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in urban planning, business, economics, finance, public administration, or a closely related field. Master’s degree is preferred.
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years of progressively responsible experience in economic development; or
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Private and public financing programs, including Tax Increment Financing and other incentive financing.
- Applicable state, federal and local ordinances, laws, rules, and regulations.
- Principles and practices of managing and implementing urban development and redevelopment programs.
- Principles and practices of small business financing.
- Practices and techniques of commercial lending institutions.
- Real estate law involving land acquisition and relocation.
- City’s infrastructure development requirements.
- Environmental issues affecting real estate transactions in older industrial areas.
- Correct English usage, including spelling, grammar, punctuation, and vocabulary.
- Principles and practices of financial administration, accounting, and budgeting.
- Principles and practices of cost-benefit analysis, internal rate of return, return on investment, and other complex financial principles.
- Developer proformas, profit and loss statements, debt/equity ratio, and credit enhancement.
- Methods and techniques of research, statistical analysis, and report presentation.
- All computer applications and hardware related to performance of the essential functions of the job.
- Current business trends and innovations in the metropolitan area.
- Using tact, discretion, initiative, and independent judgment within established guidelines.
- Researching, compiling, and summarizing a variety of informational and statistical data and materials.
- Organizing work, setting priorities, meeting critical deadlines, and following up on assignments with a minimum of direction.
- Applying logical thinking to solve problems or accomplish tasks; to understand, interpret and communicate complicated policies, procedures, and protocols.
- Accurately proofreading copy with accompanying knowledge of grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Communicating clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Preparing clear and concise reports, correspondence, and other written materials.
- Read, analyze, and interpret professional periodicals and journals, technical procedures, and government regulations.
- Speak effectively before public groups and respond to questions.
Formal application; evaluation of required qualifications; oral interview, background, and reference check.
The duties listed above are only illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed in the position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Applications are available at https://www.joliet.gov/departments/human-resources/current-job-opportunities
THE CITY OF JOLIET IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION EMPLOYER