St. Charles strives to hire highly skilled, competent, dedicated, customer-oriented staff who pride themselves on performing their duties to the highest level of excellence. If you seek a rewarding opportunity in public service with a great team, apply now!
Responsible for the management of the City’s property maintenance and code enforcement program. Coordinates with the Inspectors, the Utility Billing Division, the Public Works Department, the Police Department, the Fire Department, the City Attorney, other governmental bodies, and outside special interest and advocacy organizations on complex code enforcement issues and on the development and implementation of new code enforcement and community outreach initiatives.
- Manage code enforcement activities and procedures, including site inspections, citations, and the Administrative Adjudication hearing process
- Develop, implement, and administer a comprehensive property maintenance and code enforcement program
- Effectively oversee the duties related to property maintenance, crime-free housing, rental licensing, and apartment complex managers associations
- Initiate legal action to address unresolved violations; present cases at Adjudication, work with City Attorney to prepare and prosecute cases; negotiate fines and plea bargains; attend hearings and court proceedings; provide court testimony for violations
- Lead inter-department coordination and collaboration regarding building/life safety issues, code enforcement, and distressed/nuisance properties
- Respond to inquiries and complaints and provide appropriate problem resolution in a professional and timely manner
- Perform code interpretations; review and recommend updates or changes to codes including building and property maintenance
- Conduct a variety of public education and community outreach on various components of the Municipal Code, code compliance, and code enforcement
- Identify staffing needs to effectively execute program goals and develop and administer the program’s budget
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Building Technology, Criminal Justice, or a related field
- Five years of experience in police/fire department, property management or building/housing code enforcement
- Certification in Property Maintenance and Housing Inspection with the International Code Council or equivalent preferred, or ability to obtain within 6 months
- Knowledge of and ability to interpret municipal building, property maintenance, zoning, health, and related ordinances and codes.
- Knowledge of state/federal laws pertaining to property rights and public health and safety, such as Americans with Disabilities Act
- Excellent verbal, public speaking, and written communication skills, including the ability to read, interpret, and explain complex concepts, plans and requirements in a clear, concise, and firm manner
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with elected and appointed officials, outside groups, employees, agencies and other governmental units, and the public using strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to use MS Outlook, Word, Excel and input data into City’s permit tracking system and ability to use GIS
- Work under varying environmental conditions involving strenuous daily activity and lifting up to 20 pounds
- 24/7 on-call and will participate in meetings during and after work hours as needed
- If selected, successful completion of background investigation, physical, functional capacity evaluation and drug screen are required
Salary and Benefits
Salary range of $95,000 – $130,000, with starting pay commensurate with experience. Competitive package of benefits to include medical, dental, prescription, vision, wellness incentives, life insurance, retirement pension plan with Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, other retirement savings options, and much more!
To see what it is like to work for the City of St. Charles check out our YouTube Channel.
Apply on line at www.stcharlesil.gov/jobs no later than October 9, 2023. Resumes and additional documents can be attached in the on-line application system. If you are unable to apply online, or for other assistance, please contact 630-377-4446.
The City of St. Charles is an Equal Opportunity Employer.