The Village of Buffalo Grove is seeking a Communications Coordinator within the Communications and Community Engagement Department.
The Village of Buffalo Grove is located thirty-three miles northwest of downtown Chicago and twenty miles north of O’Hare International Airport. Neighboring communities include Arlington Heights, Lincolnshire, Long Grove, Riverwoods, Vernon Hills, and Wheeling. Since its incorporation in 1958, Buffalo Grove has grown and developed into a tightly knit, award-winning community. The Village’s current population is 43,212. Buffalo Grove has been recognized as one of the safest communities in the United States, the most family-friendly community in Illinois, one of the best Chicago suburbs for young professionals and one of the Best Places to Live.
Example of Duties
The communications coordinator has the primary duty of creating and sharing content for and on various communication platforms for Village of Buffalo Grove. While this position will report to the communications and community engagement director, work will encompass all departments. The position has a hybrid focus on writing and marketing. Writing is essential to support developing content across various mediums including print, web, social media, email campaigns and video. The communications coordinator will develop and execute a content calendar for social media, website and print. The communications coordinator will assist with interviewing staff and writing content for the Village’s print newsletter and assist with other projects as needed. Graphic design and photo editing skills enhance content creation, and such skills are preferred, but not required. The communications coordinator holds a critical role for the entire organization; input and collaboration on both existing initiatives and new ideas are considered part of the job.
- Assist with planning, development and implementation of marketing and public information campaigns, with a heavy emphasis on digital communications.
- Develop content for Village media channels, including but not limited to graphic design, layout and composition for the Village websites, social media, newsletters and other communication tools.
- Maintain and manage the Village websites, as well as assist in redesign of the pages and subsites when needed. Coordinate updates and content with staff from various departments.
- Maintain quality control of Village wide messaging and branding consistent in support of any strategic or organizational goals.
- Develop strategic content goals, create content and manage content distribution through collaboration with other departments and analysis of key performance indicators.
- Coordinate, create, integrate and monitor Village messaging via social media to inform and educate the public while also providing a customer service function.
- Serve as backup to the communications and community engagement director for writing, media relations and other needs.
- Serve as a key member of the public communications team during emergencies and maintain an on-call status for response to Village and department emergencies, as needed.
- Evaluate and make recommendations on the effectiveness of communication tools utilizing analytics.
- All other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will possess a good mix of creative and technical skills. Candidate should be skilled in writing and editing and possess the ability to multitask in a fast-paced, changing environment. Candidates should have experience delivering results with high standards under tight deadlines. Candidates must possess the ability to work both independently and with a team and be able to prioritize and produce quality work under pressure. The ideal candidate will take initiative and think strategically to discover innovative ways to highlight topics and share information. Candidates should possess a strong knowledge of digital communications and industry best practices. Creativity and flexibility are a must.
Must be able to effectively communicate verbally and in writing; maintain relationships with departments and the public; work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and holidays; and work in inclement weather on occasion.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Journalism, Marketing, Communications, Digital Media, English or related field is required. Graphic design experience or expertise is preferred. Valid Illinois Driver’s License is required.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply on-line at vbg.org. In addition to completing the on-line application, candidates must attach a cover letter and resume to their on-line application. Emailed, faxed, mailed or hand delivered applications and/or resumes will not be accepted. The application will close on August 15, 2022 at 11:59 PM. Initial review of candidates will being the week of August 1, 2022. Any questions regarding the position can be directed to Molly Gillespie, Director of Communication and Community Engagement at email@example.com.
Buffalo Grove, IL is an Equal Opportunity/ADA Employer.
*All newly hired employees of the Village of Buffalo Grove, regardless of employment status (full-time, part-time, or seasonal/temporary, student interns), must receive the first dose of a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine prior to the start of their employment. *