The Village of Downers Grove is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Maintenance Worker I under the Streets division in the Public Works Department. This position performs skilled and unskilled labor tasks, typically as a member of a work crew, and maintains Village parkway trees, water mains, roads, storm sewers, traffic control facilities, grounds, buildings and equipment. The ideal candidate has the ability to adapt quickly to changing work environments, while providing exceptional customer service.
Major Duties and Functions:
- Performs daily duties related to maintaining a variety of Village systems and infrastructure including: roadways, sidewalks, water, traffic signage and traffic control, forestry, stormwater
- Performs water repairs for main-breaks, hydrants, valves, and meters
- Participates in water shut-offs and turn-ons, and the overall distribution and general maintenance of the water system in the Village
- Performs snow removal while using assigned heavy equipment
- Responds to all public works service requests as well as other department service needs
- Carries out special response and repair duties associated with emergency situations
- Participates in setup and cleanup for Special Events in the Village
- Upholds work zone safety procedures
- Follows all instructions from assigned crew leader
- Demonstrates superior internal and external customer service skills through relationships with staff and communications and interactions with the public
- Maintains flexibility in work scheduling; allows for off-hour scheduling
- Attends all required safety training and applies training while performing work duties
- Other related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Basic computer skills
- Willingness to train on software outside of the basic computer functions
- English writing/reading/speaking abilities
- Ability to transition between jobs and duties quickly without losing efficiency or focus; multitasking
Education and Experience: High school diploma or GED. Ability to understand and follow verbal instructions and perform manual labor. Any combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Valid Illinois Driver’s License
- CDL Class “B” Vehicle Operator’s License or obtained within six months of hire
Additional Supplementary training preferred:
- OSHA 10
- Confined Spaces Training
Salary and Benefits: Starting wages for this position is $51,093, with an increase to $72,990 following six years of service. The Village provides an excellent benefits package, including health, dental, and vision insurance, and participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF).
APPLY NOW! Interested candidates may apply by selecting Job Openings on the Village website, www.downers.us. Only online applications will be accepted, with the exception of providing reasonable accommodations. Position open until filled.
The Village of Downers Grove is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, or for assistance, please contact the Human Resource Department at (630) 434-5500.