The Village of Downers Grove, Illinois is an established suburban community of 50,209 residents located in DuPage County, 22 miles west of Chicago. Since its founding in 1832, the Village has taken great pride in balancing its long-standing traditions and rich history with advancement, innovation and progress.
The Public Works Department is responsible for the maintenance of Downers Grove’s infrastructure. The Department ensures the operation and appearance of streets, the urban forest, water supply system, storm drainage system, municipal grounds, and traffic control signs and signals.
The Village is accepting applications for a Public Works Director, who will be under the direction of the Village Manager. This position plans, organizes, directs and evaluates the Public Works functions of the Village, including engineering, water, storm drainage, streets, traffic, street lighting, forestry, vehicle fleet and contract administration of public works projects. A successful candidate will possess strong interpersonal relationship skills, work effectively with multidisciplinary teams to achieve common goals, and be skilled in project management.
Major Duties and Functions:
- Formulates, approves and monitors short and long-term goals, objectives, plans, and budgets for all Public Works functions, to include developing, presenting and securing
approval of fiscal year budgets and goals for administrative operations areas.
- Ensures each subordinate department function is in compliance with applicable county, state and federal regulations; initiates corrective action, as necessary.
- Defines qualifications, responsibilities, and functions of Public Works jobs; assists supervisors in establishing staffing requirements.
- Develops, secures approval of, and implements policies and procedures.
- Directs and/or conducts determination of need and cost-benefit studies; authorizes purchase of major operational and capital equipment.
- Continuously evaluates the quality of Public Works services; meets regularly with Village staff to discuss and implement resolution to Public Works service problems.
- Oversees safety and technical training programs for the department.
- Recruits, interviews, hires, counsels, evaluates the performance of, disciplines, and discharges subordinate personnel; assists subordinate supervisors in resolving complex
employee relations problems.
- Directs, coordinates, and oversees production of departmental records, reports, and analyses; reviews and interprets statistical reports and records to ascertain extent to which Public Works department goals are being attained.
- Participates in the development of Village-wide goals, plans, and objectives; provides technical assistance on Public Works issues facing the Village Council.
- Maintains knowledge of current trends and development in the Public Works field in order to enhance professional expertise.
- Establishes and maintains effective communication and public relations with outside organizations; represents the Public Works department as appropriate in its relationships with Village residents, civic groups, governmental agencies, other municipalities, professional organizations, and so forth.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Ability to develop trust, respect and credibility with Village staff, contractual partners and members of the community
- Strong knowledge of engineering design/review processes and procedures, supervisory principles and practices, and public works processes and principles including streets, water systems and drainage systems
- Ability to identify and implement new concepts and recommend forward-looking opportunities to Village leadership
- Demonstrate exceptional presentation, writing and other communication skills
- Operate in a collaborative decision-making environment
- Skilled in management of union employees
- Knowledge of available funding options, including grants and cooperative purchasing opportunities and the requirements of each
Licenses & Certifications:
- Valid Illinois Driver’s License
- Certified Floodplain Manager (CFM) preferred
- State of Illinois Licensed Professional Engineer (P. E.) preferred
The ideal Public Works Director candidate will have completed a Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Civil Engineering, or related field required, but a Masters degree is preferred; have a minimum of six years of progressively responsible experience in Civil Engineering, preferably in a local government setting, with at least three years of which is in a supervisory/management position; or any combination of practical experience and education which produces the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Salary: $124,279 to $170,883. The Village provides an excellent benefits package, including health, dental, vision and life insurance, and participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF).
APPLY NOW! Interested applicants can apply online at www.downers.us
Only online applications will be accepted, with the exception of reasonable accommodations.
Position open until filled.
The Village of Downers Grove is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). For more information, or for assistance, please contact the Human Resource Department at (630) 434-5500.