The Village of Glen Ellyn is seeking to hire a full-time Assistant Director of Community Development. The job duties of the position include managing large-scale and long-range planning projects, providing support to the Village Boards and Commissions, implementing the Village’s plans and studies, and general Department oversight.
The Assistant Director must have strong communication and management skills and be an innovative problem solver. The successful candidate will be able to effectively build working relationships with community leaders, elected officials, employees, and other key stakeholders. Candidates should be capable of evaluating and managing commercial, residential, and mixed-use development proposals. The position oversees the Planning Division, the Building Permit Division, and the Development Engineer. The position reports directly to the Community Development Director, serving as Acting Director when necessary. This career opportunity offers a chance to serve on the Village’s Management Team and work in an environment that values teamwork, leadership training, and professional growth.
- Bachelor’s degree in planning, urban planning, landscape architecture, or a closely related field. Master’s degree preferred. AICP certification preferred.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of progressively responsible experience in planning, preferably in a government setting, including at least three (3) years of administrative and supervisory responsibility.
- Have a strong understanding of local and regional economic data and administration, planning principles, government regulations, and public engagement.
- Candidates must have excellent organizational, customer service, and communication skills. The ability to communicate verbally and in writing with the public, committees, developers, and others is essential.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and geographic information systems (GIS) software is highly desirable.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license at the time of application.
The salary range for this full-time, exempt position is $89,880 – $136,619 annually with an anticipated starting salary of +/- $115,000/year with a full range of benefits offered. Actual starting salary is negotiable and will be dependent upon qualifications, experience, and professional achievement.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample and employment application (click here) to firstname.lastname@example.org . Hard copies (faxed, mailed, hand-delivered) of resumes will be declined.
- Applicants must indicate (Job ID: 13-23 – Assistant Director of Community Development) in the subject line of their e-mail.
- The selected finalist will be required to successfully pass a pre-employment criminal background check, reference check, and post offer medical physical with a drug screening.
- Review of resumes will begin on September 15, at 5:00 p.m. Position is open until filled. Candidates requiring reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act should contact Human Resources at 630-469-5000.
THE VILLAGE OF GLEN ELLYN IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER