Part-Time Building Inspector, Community Development
The Village of Glen Ellyn Community Development Department is recruiting for one (1) part-time Building Inspector (18-28 hours/week).
- Inspects structures for compliance by reading and interpreting plans and codes; approving or rejecting all building components including, but not limited to, structural, framing, foundation, electrical, plumbing and HVAC construction.
- Inspects existing structures for compliance with applicable codes, including Village Code, Fire Code and Life Safety Code.
- Conducts zoning and building code enforcement by investigating complaints, documenting conditions, identifying violations, issuing stop work orders, notices of violation, and citations; also testifies in court on behalf of the Village.
- Assists in the review of zoning regulations and general land use code enforcement, as assigned.
- Provides prompt and courteous customer service by researching and answering questions and complaints from customers in person, via phone, and in e-mail correspondence.
- Completes accessory structure zoning and building plan reviews on an as-needed basis.
- Drafts accurate inspection reports, and performs data entry into the Village’s building permit software system (Munis).
- Responds to emergency calls for fires or accidents to buildings in order to determine structural safety and evaluate what conditions must be met to allow occupancy.
To receive consideration for the position, interested applicants must possess a high school diploma or equivalent. Minimum of two (2) years of experience as an inspector or possess an equivalent combination of education/specialized training/experience in the building trades or in construction practices and procedures. Qualified candidates should possess relevant industry credentials, such as the ICC Certification as a Residential Building Inspector. A proven ability to apply codes and ordinances firmly, tactfully and impartially is a critical skill set for the position. The ability to develop positive working relationships with Village staff, architects, developers, builders, property owners, and other members of the general public is a must.
Candidates must possess and maintain a valid Illinois motor vehicle driver’s license. The work schedule is flexible, with primary work hours falling between the hours of 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. This position may work between 18 to 28 hours a week.
The duties of this job include physical activities such as reaching, walking over irregular surfaces and up and down stairs and ladders, lifting and/or moving (up to 20 pounds) objects, grasping, driving a vehicle, talking, hearing/listening, seeing/observing, typing on a keyboard, and repetitive motions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and peripheral vision; depth perception; and the ability to adjust focus. Work environment includes both an office setting as well as working outdoors in various types of weather conditions.
The starting pay offered for this part-time, non-exempt position is $28.64 to $43.55/hourly. Starting salary is anticipated to be +/- $36.00 an hour, depending on qualifications. Depending on the number of hours worked, the position may be eligible for participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF) pension plan.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter Applicants@glenellyn.org. Hard copies (faxed, mailed, hand-delivered) of resumes will be declined.
- Applicants must indicate (Job ID: #22-39 – PT Building Inspector) in the subject line of their e-mail.
- The selected finalist will be required to successfully pass a pre-employment criminal background check, reference check, and a post-offer medical physical with a drug screen.
The position is open until filled; however, first review of resumes will begin Tuesday, October 11, 2022. Candidates requiring reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act should contact Human Resources at 630-469-5000.
THE VILLAGE OF GLEN ELLYN IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER