Are you a current or recent engineering student looking for hands-on experience in civil engineering? Do you have a passion for public service? The Village of Glencoe’s summer engineering internship is a great opportunity to put what you’ve learned in the classroom to use in the field while serving the community and learn from the Village Engineer.
Who we are: Our team is made up of people with diverse backgrounds and experience and we share a common goal – providing the very best services to the Glencoe community.
What we do: Our vision is to make Glencoe the community that people choose to live, work and do business, by providing innovative, responsive, high-quality public services in an environmentally and fiscally sustainable manner. Everyone on our team contributes to us achieving this vision! This means that we put our customers’ needs first, we strive to be leaders and innovators, and we believe in always looking for ways to improve.
What the job is: The Village has several exciting engineering and construction projects planned for summer 2023. The Village’s Engineering Intern will support the Public Works Department with these projects from May until August, but start and end dates are flexible based on the intern’s school schedule. The intern typically works 35 to 40 hours per week, depending on operational needs, between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Why Glencoe: In Glencoe, we strive to live our values. As a local government and as an employer, we prioritize building a culture of inclusion, environmental sustainability, continuous improvement, sound financial management, ethical government and providing the highest level of service to all of our customers (our residents, our businesses and our employees). Glencoe has a proven track record of investing in our community’s infrastructure, our organization’s technology and our employees so that we are able to be a responsive, progressive organization.
Our employees have consistently said they like the strong sense of teamwork in Glencoe and our residents have shared overwhelmingly positive feedback about the Village. In a 2019 community survey, 99% of respondents rated Glencoe as an excellent or good place to live and 93% said they are very satisfied or satisfied with Village services, earning Glencoe national recognition for outstanding service delivery!
Diversity, equity and inclusion are critical to the Village’s success. The Village is committed to fostering a welcoming and inclusive workforce in which all employees are valued, respected and have a sense of belonging. The Village is proud to have a diverse workforce in which all individuals are celebrated.
- Field data collection and GIS entry (via collector app)
- Observe construction projects with the Village Engineer
- Evaluate pavement and infrastructure condition
- Assist with construction plan review
- Assist with construction project management and inspection
- Perform traffic counts
- Other related tasks assisting the Public Works Department
Education and Experience
- Current or recent undergraduate student pursuing degree in civil engineering or a closely-related engineering discipline
- Valid driver’s license
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and familiarity with smart phones and/or tablets
- Working knowledge of civil engineering principles and practices
- Entry level knowledge of land surveying principles and practices
Interpersonal and Communication
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Great communication skills and ability to explain technical issues an in easy-to-understand manner
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Maintain strong working relationship with Public Works staff
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Occasional lifting/carrying up to 25 pounds (with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Frequent walking and standing (sometimes on uneven surfaces), talking, listening, and operating computer (with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Position requires working outdoors (50-70% of the time), occasionally in adverse weather conditions.
- Strong emphasis on workplace safety; candidates must be able to furnish their own safety boots/shoes.
- The Village strongly encourages COVID-19 vaccination as part of the Village’s commitment to providing a safe work environment and to continue serving the community.
The hourly rate is $16.00 to $19.00 per hour. There are no fringe benefits.
How to Apply
Please e-mail cover letter, resume and application to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference Job ID 23-01 Engineering Intern in the subject line of the e-mail, or return completed application to Village Hall, 675 Village Court, Glencoe, Illinois, 60022. The position will remain open until filled, and first resume review will take place on or around March 1, 2023.
Persons requiring reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act are asked to contact the Village Manager’s Office at (847) 835-4114. The Village of Glencoe is an Equal Opportunity Employer.