GLENCOE, IL (population 8,849) The Village of Glencoe is seeking a multi-talented, progressive Public Works Director to lead its high functioning public works team in the delivery of best-in-class services to our residents. Located on bluffs overlooking the shores of Lake Michigan approximately 20 miles north of Chicago, Glencoe is an historic, naturally beautiful community with a coveted AAA bond rating from S&P Global Ratings, a long history of professional management and committed, community-focused elected leaders. Steadfast in its commitment to preservation of our unique physical attributes, Glencoe heavily invests in our over 8,000-tree urban forest, our shoreline, bluffs and ravines, and creatively implements infrastructure improvements with an eye toward sustainability best-practices. Glencoe is home to a sophisticated enclave of architecturally distinct homes and is supported by vibrant business districts. Likewise, Glencoe is home to the renowned Writers Theatre and Chicago Botanic Garden. The Village’s 105 employees carry out a wide range of municipal services, always with the primary focus of customer-centric, concierge-level delivery. A small community that doesn’t think like one, Glencoe values inclusion of all people and strives to be an employer of choice, cultivating innovation and a deep commitment service while also implementing progressive employment policies and benefits. The incumbent Public Works Director is retiring after a 33-year career with the Village, the last 27 as Director.
The Public Works Director is a key member of the Village’s senior management team and reports to the Village Manager. The Director oversees a department of 43 full-time and six temporary employees who support the operation and maintenance of the entirety of the Village’s public infrastructure network including sanitary and storm sewer systems, streets and sidewalks, traffic management, fleet and equipment, and building and grounds, among other service areas. Additionally, the department operates the Village’s 8MGD Water Treatment Plant and maintains the water distribution system. The Director oversees a budget of approximately $16.7 million which includes a robust capital infrastructure budget of $3.48 million which prioritizes roadway, water and sewer investment in FY2023. The Director and the Public Works leadership team play a key role in planning and managing the Village’s 10-Year Community Investment Program, which includes $52.3 million in planned investments into the community.
- The ideal candidate will have a minimum of eight (8) years of senior level management and supervisory experience in a full-service public works department.
- The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering, Public Administration, Business Management, or closely related field is required. A master’s degree and/or Professional Engineer (PE) is strongly desired.
- The ideal candidate must confidently and diplomatically manage service expectations, demonstrate exceptional customer service in keeping with the department’s practice of being accessible to and engaged with residents, and confidently relay highly technical issues to a sophisticated, well-educated audience.
- The ideal candidate must have considerable experience leading a dynamic, high-service staff and excel in directing an extensive Capital Improvement Program. Progressive thinking, consideration of new methods, utilization of technology and modern approaches are strongly desired as we strive to continually offer more effective service delivery.
- The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated track record of being an inspirational leader that cultivates a team-focused mentality while also encouraging individual employee growth and development.
- The ideal candidate will demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to reach across department boundaries to partner with other Executive Team leaders, the community and other agencies to ensure Glencoe public works operations, and the Village as a whole, is transparent and continually offers best-in-class services.
The current salary range is $141,409 – $197,972; starting salary will be commensurate with the selected candidate’s qualifications and abilities. The Village also offers a comprehensive and attractive benefit package. Residency is not required.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at www.GovHRjobs.com with resume, cover letter, and contact information for five professional references by April 7, to Kathleen Rush, Vice President, GovHR USA, 847-380-3240 x 122