The Village of Itasca is seeking qualified candidates to fill a full-time General Services Maintenance Operator position in the Public Works Department.
Under the supervision of the General Services Superintendent, the Maintenance Operator performs the following work in the General Services Division of Public Works Department.
Regular hours are 7:00 am – 3:30 pm, Monday – Friday.
- Respond to emergencies including water main repairs, snow plowing, and storm events, when on call and before and after regular hours, as needed.
- Perform minor electrical repairs, such as replacing devices, bulbs, ballasts, and lighting futures.
- Perform semi-skilled repairs and maintenance using electrical, plumbing, mechanical, carpentry, painting, and general labor skills.
- Maintain and repair Village sidewalks, streets, and pavement markings including crosswalks, stop bars, curb drain arrows, etc.
- Install and remove seasonal decorations in public spaces.
- Set up, break down, and work assigned shifts at special events.
- Perform landscaping, lawn restoration, and tree maintenance.
- Set up and break down meeting rooms.
- Perform errands such picking up parts, supplies, etc.
- Move office furniture and equipment as directed.
- Use portable tablet to track project progress, view maps and prints, and collect GPS information.
- Work in a safe manner, following OSHA and Village standards.
- High school degree or equivalent.
- Valid Illinois drivers’ license.
- Class B CDL with airbrake and tanker endorsements.
- Possession of a valid Illinois class B commercial drivers’ license (CDL) with air brake and tanker endorsement or ability to obtain Class B CDL within 6 months of hire.
- Knowledge, training, education and/or experience in General Services operations as described above.
- Basic computer knowledge and skills.
- Ability to respond to emergencies 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Ability to work effectively under tight time constraints, severe weather conditions, and in stressful situations.
- Ability to safely and skillfully operate all tools, equipment, vehicles used in the Public Works Department.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to employ sound judgment and tact when responding to Village employees, residents, and the general public.
- Ability to establish and maintain a satisfactory working relationship with coworkers, Village employees, and the public.
- Ability to think critically to analyze situations and choose the proper course of action.
The wages for this position are as established in the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the Village of Itasca and the International Union of Operating Engineers, Local 150. The starting salary is typically 70% of the set salary for the first 12 months of employment with annual increases. This salary is currently $28.11/hour. Note, the contract is currently being renegotiated.
In addition to the starting wage, the Village offers an excellent benefits package including participation in IMRF.
Qualified candidates should electronically submit a completed employment application to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org with “General Services Maintenance Operator Category II” included in the subject line. Applications will be accepted through Friday, October 7, 2022. The employment application and a job description for the position can be found on the Village’s website at itasca.com/jobs.aspx.
The Village of Itasca is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.