Lake Barrington, IL (5,100), a home rule community located in the southwest corner of Lake County, approximately 40 miles northwest of the Chicago Loop, is seeking candidates interested in serving as its next Village Administrator.
Lake Barrington is a community of beautiful neighborhoods, with excellent schools, community services, and recreational offerings. With over 860 acres of Forest Preserves and open green space as well as walking and bike trails, Lake Barrington offers residents the opportunity to fully enjoy nature. The Village operates under the Board/Administrator form of government with a President and six Trustees elected at large on a non-partisan basis for 4-year overlapping terms. The Village provides public safety, public works, building and zoning, garbage/yard waste, general administration, and financial services to its residents through staff and by contractual arrangement either with other public entities or through private sector consultants and businesses.
As the Village’s Chief Administrative Officer, the Village Administrator is appointed by the Village President, with the advice and consent of the Board of Trustees. The Administrator is responsible for managing the day-to-day administrative operations and business of the Village based on the Corporate Authorities’ direction, as well as Village personnel, preparing written reports and recommendations to the Village Board, and implementing and enforcing all policies, directives, laws, and ordinances of the Village.
The Village Administrator is responsible for the implementation of policy and the overall operations of a $4.1 million general fund budget, of which 32% of expenditures are designated Police Services (Lake County Sheriff’s Office), Public Works (Cuba Township Road District), and garbage and recycling (Waste Management). The Village is staffed by 3 full-time employees. Contract development and management are key responsibilities of the Village Administrator.
Qualified candidates will be expected to have:
- Seven plus years of progressively responsible experience in management with the ability to supervise a municipal organization’s day-to-day administrative operations and business.
- An educational background (Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science in Engineering, Business, Planning, or Public Administration) that when combined with experience, provides the candidate the ability to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of the position. A Master’s degree (MBA/MS/MPA) degree is preferred.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the principles of leadership that work in modern local government; ability to work closely with elected officials to continually enhance the quality of Village services in the community.
- A professional and engaging communication style applied equally and comfortably with residents, elected officials, the business community, service contract providers and employees.
- A team-oriented management style that encourages opportunities for innovation while fostering accountability and consistent application of policy, practices, and procedures.
- A strong finance/budget background with the ability to find creative solutions in a fiscal environment guided by a fiscally responsible community approach. Ability to lead economic development within the community.
- A strong background in the development, interpretation, and implementation of service contracts; the ability to monitor compliance and seek, evaluate, and recommend cost effective alternative service initiatives; have command of infrastructure best practices such as road repaving, technology and water systems.
- A strong ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with Village staff, Village officials, Village residents, Village Businesses, and provide proper and appropriate guidance and leadership to Village employees and the Village Board.
- The successful candidate will also have a strong commitment to excellent customer service and be highly collaborative; have exceptional communications skills and a proven track record of success, managing in an environment that facilitates the needs of a municipal organization.
The Village of Lake Barrington offers a competitive benefits package. Residency is not required. Starting salary for the position is $120,000 to $160,000 depending on qualifications and experience. Applications are to be submitted by February 3, 2023 with resume, cover letter and contact information for 5 professional references to www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Paul M. Harlow, GovHR USA, Northbrook, IL, Tel: 847-380-3240