THE COMMUNITY: With a long-standing reputation as a great place to raise a family, the Village of Long Grove is noted for its nationally top-rated public schools and low crime rate. The village’s commitment to strong environmental values, open space preservation principles, and low-density development means Long Grove residents and businesses enjoy a small town, pastoral atmosphere located midway between Chicago and Milwaukee.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Village of Long Grove seeks a full-time municipal planner. The job duties of the position include, but are not limited to, managing large-scale and long-range planning projects, providing complex support to the Plan Commission Zoning Board of Appeals, and the Architectural and Historic Preservation Commission as well as implementing the Village’s Comprehensive Plan. Other responsibilities include, but not limited to, reviewing requests for approval of PUDs, special uses, zoning variations, sign variations, zoning map amendments, zoning code text amendments, subdivisions, and exterior appearance applications. This position reports directly to the Village Manager.
QUALIFICATIONS: Include but not limited to:
- A Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, public administration, or closely related filed.
- Ability to take control of situations, think quickly, and adapt to stressful situations is a must; and the ability to use good judgment and effectively solve problems is also required
- Ability to effectively prioritize and organize a heavy workload
- Ability to instruct and train in methods and procedures; must be able to delegate activities in an effective and responsible manner
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing and be comfortable making public presentations to various stakeholders
- Ability to interpret zoning code, sign code, subdivision code, and stormwater code; must also possess the ability to comprehend, retain and apply Village, State, and Federal policies and legislation, local ordinances, procedure manuals, etc.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license at the time of application
Preference is provided for candidates with AICP Certification.
SALARY: This is an exempt status position. Starting salary is DOQ with a full range of benefits including participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF) pension plan. The conditional offer for the position will be subject to a successful background check including criminal history inquiry.
Residency within the Village is not required. Interested professionals should electronically submit a letter of interest, resume and professional references to Gregory Jackson, Village Manager at email@example.com. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled. The Village of Long Grove is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law