VILLAGE OF NORTHBROOK
ACCOUNTING MANAGER (FINANCE DEPARTMENT)
The Village of Northbrook, Illinois (population 35,222), is a thriving, progressive community strategically located 25 miles north of Chicago. Home to several corporate headquarters, an upscale mall, a charming downtown, and several public transit resources, Northbrook is a prosperous village with a small-town feel. A family-oriented community, residents enjoy a variety of events and recreational opportunities, parks and natural areas, dining and retail choices, and high-quality municipal services. Northbrook has a diverse blend of rich history and strong civic-minded leadership, making it a wonderful place to live, work, and play.
The Village of Northbrook’s Finance Department is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Accounting Manager. Under the direction of the CFO and Deputy CFO, this full-time position is responsible for assisting with the management and oversight of the daily finance operations and supervision of the finance staff, and for performing various accounting and finance tasks.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- In charge of monthly close process, including preparation of month-end journal entries, bank reconciliations and financial reports.
- Assists in the design, preparation, and maintenance of account ledgers, financial reports and records.
- In charge of annual audit process, including preparation of audit workpapers and coordination with the external auditors.
- Prepares or assists with the periodic financial reports and various financial documents, including Annual Comprehensive Financial Report, Popular Annual Financial Report, Annual Budget and Capital Improvement Plan.
- Completes finance approval of purchase orders submitted by other departments.
- Assists in managing and overseeing the daily finance operations.
- Directly or indirectly supervises finance clerk positions, including coaching, training and addressing personnel and performance issues.
- Performs specials projects, as assigned by the CFO and Deputy CFO.
Qualifications: Minimum requirements include Bachelor degree in accounting, finance or a related field, with at least three years or related accounting experience. CPA designation preferred. Municipal government and supervisory experience preferred. A combination of education and experience will be considered.
The successful candidate must demonstrate working knowledge of accounting principles and the ability to develop and refine departmental procedures and policies. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, and ERP system is required. This position requires strong attention to detail, excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, and excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must be able to establish effective working relationships with other operating departments, staff and public.
Starting salary is $90,000 +/- depending on experience and qualifications. The Village also offers a comprehensive benefits package, which includes pension (IMRF), health & dental Insurance, life insurance and generous leave benefits. The work schedule is primarily Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Qualified individuals interested in being considered for the position should email their resume, cover letter and application form to: email@example.com with “Accounting Manager” in the subject field or mail to Village of Northbrook, Human Resources, 1225 Cedar Lane, Northbrook, IL 60062. Applications are available on the Northbrook website at www.northbrook.il.us. Position will be open until filled.