Northbrook, Illinois (population – 35,000, daytime population 60,000) Northbrook is a vibrant, family-oriented community known as an ideal place to live, work and play. This highly regarded, civic-minded Village with excellent schools is located just 25 miles north of downtown Chicago and is seeking local government executives who are approachable, collaborative and have well-developed communication skills as candidates for its Village Manager position.
Strategically located near critical transportation resources, Northbrook has AAA and Aaa bond ratings from two premier rating agencies and a diverse business community, including the upscale Northbrook Court regional mall and several major corporate headquarters including Allstate Insurance, Crate and Barrel, and Underwriters Laboratories. Northbrook is also home to a variety of business and industrial parks that add to the Village’s diversified tax base. Like all communities, Northbrook’s businesses including its downtown have struggled during the pandemic, but there is a strong community commitment to support the businesses.
The Village’s charter established the Council-Manager form of government and Northbrook has had only two Village Managers in more than 30 years. The Village Manager is appointed by the Village President and six-member Board of Trustees. The Village is a full-service community including water production and distribution with a total budget of approximately $95 million and 270 full time employees. Please note the following about this excellent opportunity:
- The Village has a history of stable, professional leadership that has resulted in the Village’s strong financial position. Though the pandemic has and will continue to impact sales tax revenues, Northbrook’s fiscal policies have positioned the community well. The next Village Manager will be expected to have financial aptitude skills that will continue this important path.
- The Village offered an early retirement incentive to its employees and more than 20 employees have participated in this voluntary separation program. This has resulted in a change in leadership in Police, Development and Planning Services and Finance as well as other key positions in the municipal organization. Strong succession planning efforts have resulted in internal promotions for the Director of Development and Planning Services and later this spring the Chief Financial Officer. A new Police Chief is expected to start later this spring as well. The next Village Manager will be expected to have strong team building skills in order to create a cohesive leadership team with all members of the executive staff.
- The Village has undertaken several new initiatives including the adoption of revisions to its Affordable Housing Plan in December 2020 creating a special Housing Trust Fund to advance local housing initiatives. The Village has been working with a consultant and its own staff to develop a Climate Action Plan. In mid-April the Village will release recommendations for ways in which the Village can reduce greenhouse gases locally as well as include other climate action related initiatives. In addition, the Village has potential development opportunities on two large tracts of land and a need for new facilities for Police and Public Works.
- The Village will have a change in elected leadership following the municipal elections on April 6, 2021. The current Village President is not running for reelection and there are two candidates vying for the Village President position and six candidates running for the three open Village Trustee positions. The newly constituted Village Board will select candidates for interview and conduct the interview and appointment process.
- The Village, its other units of local government and the business community have an extremely positive and collaborative working relationship. The Village Manager has been an important leader in these relationships. The next Village Manager will be expected to bring a record of positive intergovernmental relationships to continue this effort which benefits all of Northbrook.
Candidates for the Northbrook Village Manager position must be experienced local government leaders with a commitment to excellence in customer service, fiscal discipline, integrity and transparency in local government. In addition, candidates must have a management and leadership style that reflects collaboration, teambuilding and a calm, professional demeanor.
Candidates must possess a bachelor’s degree in public administration, planning, business administration or related field with at least ten years of progressively responsible local government leadership. Ideally this includes at least five years as a Chief Administrative Officer of a local government of similar size and complexity to Northbrook. A master’s degree in public policy, public administration, business administration or a related field is strongly preferred. Residency in the Village of Northbrook is strongly preferred.
Salary: $230,000 – $250,000 +/- DOQ with excellent benefits. Interested candidates should apply by April 16, 2021 with a cover letter, resume, and contact information for at least five (5) professional references to www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Heidi Voorhees, President and Carmen Davis, Vice President at GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, Suite 130 Northbrook, IL 60062. The Village of Northbrook is an equal opportunity employer.