Intern- Engineering & Public Works – Summer
Village of Schaumburg
Human Resources Department
101 Schaumburg Court, Schaumburg, IL 60193
The Village of Schaumburg is a thriving community of 78,732 residents located 12 miles west of O’Hare International Airport and approximately 26 miles northwest of Chicago. Not only is Schaumburg the twelfth-largest community in the State of Illinois, but it is also home to the second-largest concentration of retail, office, and commercial activity. Notable village distinctions include being named one of the “Top Ten Best Places to Live” by Money Magazine; being ranked No. 5 overall in WalletHub’s “Best Illinois Cities for Jobs”; and receiving the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award from the Government Finance Officers Association for meeting the highest principles of governmental budgeting for the seventh consecutive year.
The village employs approximately 600 employees in 12 departments, including police, fire, engineering and public works, communications, community development, cultural services, economic development, finance, general government, human resources, information technology, and transportation. Our employees work to serve the residents and strive to make Schaumburg the best community it can be.
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
Intern – Engineering (Engineering & Public Works) summer
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Interviews will be conducted as applications are received. This position will remain open until filled.
PAY RATE: $18.00 per hour based on a 35-hour workweek during the summer months
WORK SCHEDULE: This position is for the summer months typically based on a 35-hour workweek with a preferred work schedule of Monday to Friday, 8:00a – 4:00p with the flexibility to work 7:00a-3:00p as needed
Please attach as part of your application all necessary documents verifying that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
This position assists in the implementation of a variety of capital projects, performs technical review and analysis of project design, infrastructure analysis, and construction services.
Position is for the summer months typically based on a 35 hour work week.
To succeed in this role, applicants will need to effectively and clearly communicate to a full range of people, be motivated to complete tasks/responsibilities, work cooperatively with others, have a willingness to learn, and be able to shift gears comfortably.
- Assists Engineering Services Division in new or ongoing projects as directed by the Engineering Division Manager and/or Senior Civil Engineer.
2. Manages the research and implementation of various infrastructure studies directed by the Engineering Division Manager and/or Senior Civil Engineer, including, but not limited to, evaluating the condition of village utilities, such as storm sewers, to determine their conditions and remedial action plan necessary to correct any deficiencies discovered.
3. Assists in the construction management of village public improvement projects.
4. Assists in providing public relations services for various capital improvement projects.
5. Assists in the review and updating of the municipal web site Construction Project updates.
6. Manages various computer applications as assigned.
7. Assist Engineering Division staff with survey or GPS data collection.
8. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Education equivalent to a high school diploma.
2. Educational course work in Civil Engineering or closely related field.
3. In process of obtaining an Associate’s, Bachelor’s or Graduate Degree in Civil Engineering or a closely related field.
4. Possession of a valid driver’s license and have transportation to and from inspection sites.
5. Proficiency with current computer technology, job specific software, and customer service systems.
Seasonal employees are not eligible for benefits.
Candidate screening process may consist of an application review, skills testing, employability assessment, interviews, reference checks, and other job-related testing or verifications. Chosen candidates will be subject to a background and criminal history investigation, and qualifying pre-employment medical examination and drug screen (including cannabis).
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER