The Village of Schaumburg is a thriving community of 78,723 residents located 11 miles west of O’Hare International Airport and approximately 26 miles northwest of Chicago. Not only is Schaumburg the twelfth-largest community in the State of Illinois, but it is also home to the second-largest concentration of retail, office, and commercial activity. Notable village distinctions include being rated as an excellent or good place to live by 95% of respondents in the National Community Survey; having multiple highly-awarded and accredited departments; and being recognized as a Better Business Town by The Better Business Bureau of Chicago and Northern Illinois.
The village employs approximately 600 employees in 12 departments, including police, fire, engineering and public works, communications, community development, cultural services, economic development, finance, general government, human resources, information technology, and transportation. Our employees work to serve the residents and strive to make Schaumburg the best community it can be.
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF:
Sustainability Planner (Community Development)
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Interviews will be conducted as applications are received. This position will remain open until filled.
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $80,997.44 – $99,225.94 annually dependent on qualifications. The salary range for this position is $80,997.44 – $117,454.44.
Please attach as part of your application all necessary documents verifying that you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
This position performs administrative and management responsibilities for the implementation of the village’s sustainability initiatives, plans, and programs; provides technical advice and assistance to other staff, departments, boards, and commissions related to sustainability initiatives, and manages and coordinates the farmers market.; The position also performs analysis of and reports about development proposals, acts as case manager/lead planner to assist developers through the zoning approvals/entitlement process; researches and prepares code amendments; and administers other special projects. May be eligible for flexible schedule/hybrid work options. The ideal candidate will need to effectively communicate to a full range of people, organize time and prioritize responsibilities with accuracy. We are looking to add a team member capable of remaining calm and professional under pressure and has the functional skills to do the job at a high level.
1. Manages development review projects and prepares written recommendations regarding development proposals including but not limited to, Development Plan Approvals/Amendments, Planned Unit Developments, Re-zoning proposals, Special Use requests, Variations, Teardowns, FAR Credits, and Plats requiring review by the Village Board, Plan Commission, or Zoning Board of Appeals.
2. Schedules and presents at public hearings before the Zoning Board of Appeals, Plan Commission, and various village standing committees for development review projects and code amendments.
3. Researches, creates and administers programs and projects that serve to achieve the goals stated in the Comprehensive Green Action Plan. Monitors and prepares reports on the status of the Comprehensive Green Action Plan and other sustainability goals and presents them to village committees, boards, and commissions.
4. Serves as the village’s main point of contact on sustainability issues. Manages the Green Team; a multi-disciplinary team comprised of staff from all village departments; sets annual corporate goals to further the implementation of the Comprehensive Green Action Plan.
5. Prepares outreach and promotion of the Comprehensive Green Action Plan and other sustainability projects and initiatives through the village website, village media, and various outside media outlets.
6. Manages Farmers Market including the coordination of a seasonal intern that staffs the village booth. Organizes and coordinates vendor participation, advertising campaign, entertainment schedule, special event days, annual booth fee rates, and collection of vendor booth fees. Reviews contracts and invoices from performers and advertising vendors. Prepares and recommends budget requests for advertising, entertainment, and materials needed for the Farmers’ Market to the Department Director.
7. Serves as staff liaison to the Environmental Committee; prepares annual work plan and assists the Committee in promoting and implementing their programs such as Annual Recycling Events, Environmental Fair, and Award Programs. Prepares and recommends budget requests to the Department Director.
8. Administers the Annual Landscape and Environmental Award Programs; coordinates nominees and presents nominations to the Environmental Committee and village standing committee.
9. Represents the Village of Schaumburg in a professional manner in dealings with other agencies, special interest groups, and the public, including serving on various regional and Village committees related to sustainability and the environment.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, environmental or sustainability planning, landscape architecture, architecture, or related field.
2. A minimum of three years of experience in planning.
3. Experience in the sustainability field working on the implementation of sustainable environmental programs.
4. Proficiency with current computer technology, job-specific software, and customer service systems.
The Village of Schaumburg has a competitive benefit package which includes: flexible benefit Section 125 plan including health, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts, a retirement plan through the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, paid holidays, paid vacation, sick leave, tuition reimbursement, and more.
Candidate screening process may consist of an application review, skills testing, employability assessment, interviews, reference checks, and other job-related testing or verifications. Chosen candidates will be subject to a background and criminal history investigation, and qualifying pre-employment medical examination and drug screen (including cannabis).
VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG
Human Resources Department
101 Schaumburg Court, Schaumburg, IL 60193
THE VILLAGE OF SCHAUMBURG IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER