The Village of Vernon Hills is a vibrant, progressive, team-oriented and financially sound community that invests in the development and growth of its most important asset – its employees. The Village is seeking a candidate for the position of Zoning and Licensing Clerk in the Community Development Department. The position greets visitors at the front desk at Village Hall, helping residents and businesses with a wide variety of permitting and licensing functions. The ideal candidate is outgoing and comfortable working with the public.
- Planning & Zoning Coordination
Manages the pre-permit zoning and land use review process, including coordination of plan review with other departments. Coordinates public hearing process for the Planning & Zoning Committee.
- Building Division support
Processes and distributes building permit applications, schedules inspections and follows up as needed. Also manages the elevator permit program.
Manages the business license and liquor license programs.
- Department administration
Assists in the preparation of the annual budget, manages document archiving, responds to Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests, and prepares various reports for the department.
- High school diploma or equivalent required; Associates degree preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication and customer service skills.
- One to two years of general office experience/administrative assistant work.
- Proficiency with software (Microsoft Office programs including Word and Excel, Outlook, permit management software).
- Familiarity with construction industry, zoning, or municipal government is preferred, but not required.
- Passage of a pre-employment physical, drug screen, criminal background check, motor vehicle history report, employment and reference checks.
- Successful completion of a twelve-month introductory period.
SALARY: The salary range for this position is $54,878 – $74,168 annually (Administrative Assistant II on the Village’s salary schedule). Starting salary is generally at the entry step of the range; exceptions may be made for candidates with extensive relevant experience. The position is a full time, FLSA non-exempt position.
BENEFITS: The Village of Vernon Hills has an excellent benefit package which includes health, dental, vision and life insurance, as well as medical and dependent care flexible spending accounts, a retirement plan through the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, paid holidays, paid vacation, sick leave, tuition reimbursement and more.
APPLICATION PROCESS: The Village of Vernon Hills Employment Application is available on the Village website at www.vernonhills.org/jobs or at the Village Hall located at 290 Evergreen Drive, Vernon Hills, IL 60061.
Completed employment applications may be submitted to the Human Resources Department at the Village Hall; either in person, by mail or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure to include the title of the position in the subject of the email.
Applicants are encouraged to apply by December 2, 2022. Position will remain open until filled and interviews are anticipated to occur on a rolling basis.
Posted: November 15, 2022
THE VILLAGE OF VERNON HILLS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER