The Village of Wauconda is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Assistant to the Public Works Director. This full-time administrative position will assist the Director of Public Works by performing complex administrative tasks in planning and organizing within all areas of the Public Works Department.
The Assistant to the Director of Public Works must have strong organizational, analytical, computer, writing and interpersonal skills. They must be able to communicate effectively with residents, employees, consultants, other governmental agency representatives, municipal officials and the general public. They must have the ability to quickly acquire a comprehensive knowledge of the organization, functions, and operating practices of the Public Works Department. An ability to compile comprehensive reports and experience in assignment and project tracking is also needed.
Job duties include:
- Ensure that proper periodic reviews and updates are applied to existing departmental procedures to guarantee the efficiency and effectiveness of both current and future practices.
- Assist the Director of Public Works with the processing of specific permits and notices related to Public Works operations and track adherence to project review schedules.
- Prepare written communications as directed such as board reports and memos, supporting materials for agenda items, e-mail responses to residents, and internal and external memos and letters. Provide review and editing input as needed on all forms of departmental written communications which are intended for external use.
- Work with supervisors to coordinate special activities and public awareness campaigns which promote the services offered by the Village of Wauconda by preparing media releases and other written materials to inform residents of relevant Public Works information.
- Prepare administrative reports and spreadsheets, consolidate information from department foremen to create concise summaries to keep the Village Administration and elected public officials informed of important events, projects and plans within the Public Works Department.
- Assist with preparation of the annual budget and support materials justifying planned purchases (in conjunction with the Director and respective superintendents). Review completed purchase orders for proper coding, be aware of available fund balances, obtain the approval necessary per departmental procedure, and prepare budget transfer forms and payment requests for proper approval.
- Maintain records of all employee required training, recertification requirements and completion of exams and tracking of monthly and annual required safety related inspections, training and program reviews.
- Ensure the Public Works section of the Village website is maintained and updated with seasonally accurate information. Make recommendations to the Director about information which should be added to the website to better represent our services and inform Village residents of important items.
The successful candidate will meet the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree preferred, or equivalent combination of training and experience in general business organizational principles and practice.
- Minimum of three (3) years previous administrative experience in a public or private sector organization.
- Possess a valid Illinois driver’s license, pass a background check and physical and drug screening.
The salary range for this position is $60,000 – $80,000 commensurate with education and experience. The Village of Wauconda offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and term life coverage, participation in a flexible spending account, EAP (employee assistance program) and participation in the IMRF (Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund).
Interested candidates may submit an application, resume and cover letter directly to Joan Rinaldi in the Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. First review of candidates to be completed by 02/10/2023. Questions should be directed to Joan Rinaldi at (847) 526-9600 or email@example.com.