The Village of Willowbrook is looking for a Permit Technician within the Community Development Department. This is a professional position that plays a key role in assisting the general public through the Village’s building permit, inspection, code enforcement, and zoning application processes. An ideal candidate will be friendly, customer service oriented, possess strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills; ability and willingness to learn and improve operational process, and the ability to foster a positive and safe work environment.
As a Permit Technician, you will perform a variety of tasks related to the building permit and zoning review process with attention on customer service via email, telephone phone and in person. This position coordinates the efficient processing of submittals; helps the Community Development Department manage change in the community; and supports informed and efficient decision making by Village staff, appointed and elected officials. Under the general supervision of the Community Development Director, this position serves as the Department’s first point of contact for questions and customer service.
The Village is seeking a strongly organized, collaborative, and customer service skilled candidate to join its forward-thinking and innovative team. This work requires the ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously while meeting deadlines. Daily duties for this task include:
- Provide an exemplary level of customers service both on the phone and in person at the Community Development counter when meeting and corresponding with residents, property owners and managers, contractors, developers, architects, engineers, planners and others regarding plans and permitting.
- Receive and process building permits; applications and payments.
- Answering questions and providing technical and code-based guidance to permit applicants, and reviewing applications for completeness.
- Enter data in the electronic building permit database.
- Assist phone callers to schedule building inspections, meetings, property complaints, etc.
- Provide follow up with contractors and property owners on incomplete or outstanding permit issues, concerns, and questions.
- Communicate with the Village’s third-party review consultants.
- Prepare Certificates of Occupancy/Compliance and Notice of Violation letters for Code Enforcement.
- Closeout files to prepare to archive/scan closed permits, plans, etc. into the Laserfiche Repository.
- Review and respond to department FOIA requests.
- Reading and interpreting building plans and related documents and reviewing permits for compliance with Village codes:
o Issue over the counter permits such as roofs, water heaters, furnace & air conditioner permits.
o Perform small plan reviews on fences, sheds, driveway, patio, sidewalk permit submittals.
- Work on special projects and tasks assigned by the Director of Community Development.
The Village has identified the following educational achievements, work experience, and professional abilities as necessary for the successful candidate:
- High school diploma or equivalent with an Associate’s degree preferred, and at least one to three years’ experience in customer service or administrative support in a government organization.
- Experience in construction or real estate-related business, architectural or engineering consulting firm, or any combination of education and experience in building, planning, construction, or code enforcement sufficient to perform the work required of the position is beneficial.
- Special Requirements: Exceptional writing, communication, and customer service skills.
- A well organized, self-starter, and someone who can multitask and balance multiple projects at once.
- Attendance at evening Plan Commission/Zoning Board of Appeals meetings and special meetings to take minutes, as needed.
- ICC Permit Technician Certification is a plus or must be willing to obtain ICC certification within 24 months of employment.
- Field Code Enforcement experience is not required but is beneficial.
- BS&A permit software and GIS software experience and knowledge a plus.
The salary range for this position is $55,000 to $75,000. This position is classified as a full-time, non-exempt, non-union position. All applicants must be able to work 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The Village provides a comprehensive benefit packaging including medical, dental, and life insurance, Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund Pension, ICMA-RC retirement plans, paid sick, vacation, holiday time, and more.
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume to Alex Arteaga (email@example.com), Assistant to the Village Administrator. Applicants must indicate (Permit Tech – Community Development) in the subject line of their e-mail. If you have any questions about the position, please contact Alex Arteaga, at (630) 920-2263 or firstname.lastname@example.org.