The Civil Engineer I provides technical assistance, as well as direct administrative and professional support to the Engineering Department and performs the day-to-day engineering activities, including construction management, engineering inspections, plan reviews and manage annual capital improvement projects. This position regularly responds to inquiries and investigates complaints of engineering matters including streets, sidewalks, sewers, drainage, building construction, subdivisions, flood hazard areas, traffic, and parking.
- Provides construction oversite for the annual capital improvement projects as well as other Village construction projects.
- Prepare engineering plans, specifications, cost estimates, feasibility reports, and documentation for capital and public improvement projects including annual street rehabilitation project, parking lot reconstruction, storm, sanitary, and water main improvements.
- Manage the Village’s annual sidewalk improvement program; maintain inspection reports and respond inquiries related to street and sidewalks.
- Perform construction contract administration, including quantity documentation, monitoring project budgets and expenditures, and preparing payments to contractors.
- Assist in reviewing plans, calculations, and conduct site inspections.
- Respond to residents’ and contractors’ inquiries related to the engineering department matters.
- Assist with flood plain management program, assist in updating Village maps, sewer utility atlases, and other engineering documents and records; answer inquiries regarding the location of utilities and provide data updates to Geographic Information System (GIS) personnel for map updates.
- Assist in developing request for qualification (RFQ’s) for new projects, review contract proposals, and recommend contract awards.
- Assist in the development of Capital Improvement Budgets.
- Coordinate and work with other Village Departments, divisions, and extra-jurisdictional agencies including MWRD, IEPA, FEMA, Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT), Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR), and Cook County
- Assist and complete reports, forms, applications, and other documents for submittal to other governmental agencies.
- Perform traffic studies, reports and recommendations as needed.
- Represent the Village at regional watershed and transportation meetings, and other regulatory meetings as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering from an accredited college or university.
- One (1) to two (2) years’ experience in managing various design and construction projects, preferred in municipal or public works fields.
Work activities are mostly conducted in a climate-controlled open office environment and noise levels are usually quiet. Some outdoor work is required in the inspection of land use developments, construction sites or Public Works facilities.
The weekly work schedule is normally 40 hours in duration, Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Salary Range: $75,000 – $113,444 annual (DOQ), plus excellent benefits.
Position is Open Until Filled.
Submit application, resume, and cover letter online at www.villageofwinnetka.org.
For questions or assistance, please contact Ann Eriksson, Human Resources Manager, at (847) 716-3546 or email@example.com.