The Maintenance Worker position is an entry level position that performs a variety of manual, semi-skilled carpentry, plumbing, masonry, concrete finishing, equipment operation, landscape and building maintenance, street paving, pavement patching, snow and ice control, sewer line and basin cleaning and repair, and related activities. The Maintenance Worker will operate a variety of equipment in the construction, operation, repair, maintenance, and replacement of water, sewer, street, and storm drainage facilities and systems.
- Operate trucks and construction equipment of various sizes and weights, including trucks, trailers, snowplow, backhoe, pay loader, tractor, leaf machine, jetter/inductor truck, chainsaw, computers, cameras, and various motorized or energized equipment, attachments, and hand operated tools.
- Perform parkway/roadside maintenance which includes the removal of stump cuttings; backfilling, repairing and seeding disturbed parkway areas; leaf collection; removal, replacement and repair of sidewalks; brush and bush trimming; and mowing of roadside vegetation.
- Perform pavement maintenance and repair, such as saw cutting; pavement breaking, removal, and disposal; placing, finishing, and using concrete; milling/grinding bituminous pavement; laying, luting, raking, and compacting bituminous mixtures; and pothole patching.
- Hand-dig and backfill trenches; install, inspect, maintain and repair sanitary sewers, storm sewers, catch basins, manholes, vaults, pressure regulators, gate valves, other control devices, and auxiliary equipment.
- Locate and determine cause of sewer leaks and backups; cut, thread, and install pipes.
- Demolish or trim vaults and manholes; install and build wooden forms, sheeting, shoring, and bracing for excavation.
- Patch cracks in underground vaults and manholes; brush or spray walls with waterproof compounds.
- Perform snow and ice control operations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
- Six (6) months experience in construction, maintenance or related field, or equivalent training and experience.
- Knowledge of general public works labor activities, proper and safe construction, maintenance and repair methods, and safe driving skills.
- Possess or obtain valid Illinois CDL Class A or B license.
The weekly work schedule is generally 40 hours in duration, Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Work is required on some Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays. Position has “on-call responsibilities” and maybe required to work nights, early mornings, weekends, and/or holidays on short notice.
Starting Salary: $59,241 annual.
Position Open Until Filled.
Applications must be completed online at www.villageofwinnetka.org.
For questions or assistance, please contact Ann Eriksson, Human Resources Manager, at (847) 716-3546 or firstname.lastname@example.org.