The Refuse Collector is responsible for collecting and transporting solid waste along designated residential and commercial routes. The position is also responsible for transporting yard waste and participating in seasonal or special collection activities. The Refuse Collector uses heavy equipment to transport refuse and yard waste from the back door, curb, and commercial districts to a transfer station operated by the Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County. In addition, the Refuse Collector participates in minor facility, vehicle, and equipment maintenance in coordination with other Public Works Department divisions and operations.
- Drive a collection vehicle over designated or special collection routes to collect residential, commercial and institutional waste, landscape waste, or recyclables.
- Provide specialized collection of waste or recyclables from commercial containers, driveway/parkway special pickups, and deposit into truck or scooter as assigned.
- Transport material collected to disposal sites, including the Village’s designated transfer station, in compliance with applicable regulations and standard operating procedures.
- Complete written service request reports or special pick-up records upon completion of specific jobs or collections as assigned.
- Perform labor and maintenance support to other Public Works Department operations as assigned.
- Operate other vehicles and equipment to perform snow plowing and salting, or other required duties as needed, especially in the event of emergency or personnel shortage.
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
- Possess or obtain valid Illinois CDL Class A or B license within 3 months of hire.
- Knowledge of general public works labor and maintenance activities, and safe driving skills.
The weekly work schedule is normally 40 hours in duration; shifts are typically 10 hours in duration, 4 days per week from 5:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., but may be altered or extended in the event of emergency, personnel shortage or workload. This position works regularly scheduled weekends and may be required to work on other Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays. Duties are performed independently and as a team member.
This position requires long distance walking in excess of 10 miles per work shift in all weather conditions and in close proximity to vehicular traffic.
Starting Salary: $59,241/yr.
Position is Open Until Filled.
Applications must be completed online at www.villageofwinnetka.org.
For questions or assistance, please contact Ann Eriksson, Human Resources Manager, at (847) 716-3546 or email@example.com.