The Illinois City/County Management Association promotes professional local government management through its commitment to inclusiveness, adherence to the ICMA Code of Ethics, and high-quality member support.
To promote this mission, ILCMA affirms its belief in these basic values:
Leadership: ILCMA provides innovative and progressive guidance for how local government should deliver its products and services to its constituencies.
• Modeling best practices
Inclusiveness: ILCMA members value each other’s differences and contributions to the whole by fostering an inclusive, collegial and engaging environment.
• Reflects the diversity of society (gender, race, nationality, sexual orientation)
• Different types of members (county, local, manager, assistant, department head, non-traditional)
Ethical Behavior: ILCMA members value ethical, professional local government management; they act as a role model to others in government service.
• Code of Ethics enforced
• Lead by example/model desired behavior
Advocacy for Professional Local Government: ILCMA members value actions that build trust in local government and shall advocate the good works of local government professionals.
• Outreach to build trust in local government
• Distinguish ourselves as good government role models
• Proactive, external messaging by association
Professionalism: ILCMA members value and encourage active networking, advanced learning, and the sharing of best practices.
• Professional Development
• Active Participation
• Best Practices shared and examples available
Member Support/Members in Career Transition (MICT): ILCMA members value the need to support self-improvement, networking and members in transition.
• Collegial emphasis and opportunities for networking
• MIT support
• High quality professional development programming
• Nurturing the individual
• Professional management
ILCMA is the organization for local government professionals that promotes, facilitates, and models the utmost integrity of its members’ conduct by abiding by the ICMA Code of Ethics. ILCMA serves as a voice for professional and trusted government in Illinois and is successful in promoting the profession and form of government throughout the state.
• Increased trust in government
• Strong partner with organizations that support and promote good government.
• The association provides greater awareness about the value of professional management.
• The association is viewed as a reliable and steady source for ideas and solutions.
ILCMA embraces its diversity.
• Attracting and engaging the next generation of local government professionals.
• Promotes and champions diversity, equity, and inclusion within the association, and among its member communities.
• Willing to have conversations that challenge each other, and challenge big topics.
ILCMA, as an association, has an engaged membership and delivers quality programs and services that are in demand by its members.
• Effective messaging
• Its governance reflects a diverse, professional, forward-thinking organization.
• Is known for being extremely welcoming.
• Leverage’s technology to serve and connect more members through virtual platforms.
• Recognized for its strong and nimble programming that supports professionals wherever they are in the spectrum of their career, from emerging leaders to seasoned professionals, from newly appointed, to MITs.
• Enhanced its membership outreach to engage those previously on the sidelines.
• Governance of the Secretariat is secure and has administrative capacity and structure to continue support of the Association.